Well, the first part of my thermostat project is coming together. I’ve validated that I can power the Raspberry pi from a 24V AC source with what I’d consider minimal additional components. I’m still waiting for Adafruit to get the capacitive touch screen in stock but I believe this setup will be capable of powering the entire system. I created a forum thread for a brief “how to” on this topic. You can find it here. The next thing I will be testing are some relays that just arrived from Jameco which I’ll use to signal the HVAC unit to come on or shut off.
I’ve decided one of my next projects to integrate into the HIMS will be a thermostat. I’ve started investigating the hardware that will be required. I’m leaning towards a touchscreen display for visualization and basic control while the primary configuration is done via HIMS in a web browser. There’s 24V AC available at my existing thermostat to work with so I may try to power the whole thing from that or run a separate 120V AC power source to the thermostat location. I’ve purchased some surface mount relays for signaling the unit to run and will be experimenting with those once they arrive. The hardest part will be finding a “cool” case to mount everything inside of. More to come on this as things progress.
I’ve added a thread in the forum area for more information on controlling my doorbell with a Raspberry Pi. You can find more information here.
I think I’ve got the Home Intelligence Management System Doorbell control working. I’ll post more pictures and information soon. It’s pretty basic but will allow me to use the raspberry pi and a relay module to shut the doorbell chime off during a set off interval. This will help keep people from ringing the doorbell when the kids are asleep!
The HIMS / Water Heater control project has come along. I’ve started a forum thread to display the final results found here. I’ve included a few images below. I’ll be posting the code soon along with some other images of the logged data in the Mysql database.
I tweaked the Python code for the water heater control to incorporate the additional off sequence I added along with the new dropdown fields. The added code to handle Mysqldb errors seems to also be working. More testing and tweaks to the Python code to come . . .
My water heater control system utilizing Raspberry Pis has gone live. I’ve still got some testing to do and features to add but it appears functional. The CT I’m using also is showing the current when the water heater is on and it appears relatively accurate to what the unit is rated for. As I get things finalized, I’ll take some time to document and post the info here.
I’ve made some good progress with the water heater controls / HIMS. My wordpress plugin is functioning allowing me to update settings on the remote Raspberry Pi. I’m also able to dump the log data into the Mysql database which I’m still refining. I still have a lot of work to do before installing it on my water heater but things are definitely much closer. I was also able to use my memory card reader and hook up the “bad” SD card into one of my other Raspberry Pis and pull off my Python programs. The file structure appeared fine so some of the boot files must have become corrupted on it. It’s probably fixable and I may mess around with it later to see if I can get it to boot from the card again. Hopefully more to come soon with pictures and possibly code.
I’ve been learning a little about setting up plugins for WordPress. I found a fairly good guide here. I’m somewhat familiar with WordPress so figured I’d use that as the content management system for my “Home Intelligence Management System”. So far I’ve created a really basic plugin that adds a settings page to configure some times and durations for shutting off my water heater. It needs some formatting work but for what I’m looking to do, it should work fine. The next step will be to setup a python program to monitor the mysql database values from the wordpress plugin and verify the python program runs correctly to shut the water heater off and turn it back on when appropriate. Ultimately, I will convert my Python sprinkler timer program into this format along with the addition of some other projects.